These Content Guidelines are intended to provide clarity around the types of content that is allowed and not allowed under our Terms of Service. Our Terms of Service bans “Prohibited Content” which is defined to include any Content that:
is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, hateful, discriminatory, defamatory, libelous, misleading, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive, tortious, obscene, offensive, vulgar, pornographic, profane, promotes violence or animal cruelty, is prohibited by our Content Guidelines (which are incorporated into this Terms of Service) or is otherwise inappropriate as determined by the Company in its sole discretion.
Some of these terms are quite clear, and others less so. Below is some guidance on how JW Player will interpret some of the terms that are less clear.
Content that is hateful, discriminatory, or promotes violence
We prohibit content that promotes hate, discrimination, or violence that is directed towards an individual, a group, or a class of persons on the basis of who they are. Such prohibited content may include:
- Derogatory, malicious or inflammatory statements about individuals or groups of people or classes of people, such as slurs or negative stereotypes, caricatures and generalizations
- Support for hate groups and people promoting hateful activities, prejudice and conspiracy theories
- Mocking or attacking the beliefs, sacred symbols, movements, or institutions of the protected groups
Content that is misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent
We prohibit content that is false or misleading or that could threaten the public’s well-being, safety or trust. Such prohibited content may include:
- Medically unsupported health claims that risk public health and safety, including the promotion of false cures, anti-vaccination advice, or misinformation about public health or safety emergencies
- False or misleading information about individuals, groups or classes of persons that promotes fear, hate, violence, discrimination or prejudice
- Conspiracy theories
- False or misleading information that impedes an election’s integrity or an individual’s or group’s civic participation
Consideration of Content beyond JW Player
While our decisions regarding content will generally focus on content played and/or distributed through the JW Player Products, we recognize that context, intent, and impact often are relevant in making a determination regarding certain content. For this reason, our determination of what is and is not Prohibited Content extends beyond the video content on our platform and we may consider other factors, including:
- the mission and history of the Publisher with respect to content or actions that are related to the types of content that we prohibit
- the content distributed by the Publisher on other platforms including social media
Considerations for News Organizations
We recognize that some of our publishers are news organizations and that sometimes publishing news content may involve referring to, linking to, or including content that is otherwise prohibited by our Terms of Service and Content Guidelines.
We also recognize that content published by news organizations can take many forms, including opinion columns, editorials, op-eds, letters to the editor, and also user comments.
In making decisions under our Terms of Service and Content Guidelines about content published by news organizations we will seek to afford such publishers an opportunity to report on news and publish editorial and opinion content that reflects a wide range of perspectives. Nonetheless we will apply our Terms of Service and Content Guidelines to news organizations and give proper consideration to the context of the content in question.
Action We May Take
We may take action to remove content that violates our Terms of Service and these guidelines. Such action may include removing the content, suspending the relevant account(s), and/or terminating the account(s).
JW Player may change these guidelines at any time without advance notice.
Reporting Prohibited Content
To report a possible violation of our Terms of Service regarding Prohibited Content, please contact email@example.com.
If you have an issue or question regarding intellectual property rights, please see our DMCA Copyright Policy.