Brightcove is a well-known brand in the video industry and has a history of working with some of the most reputable businesses in the globe.
This article will explore the features that have launched Brightcove to success, as well as the competitive market for other video hosting options, to make sure you’re well-informed and in control of your digital content journey.
Let’s dive in!
An overview of Brightcove
Since its debut in 2004, Brightcove has been helping its customers by providing a video hosting solution.
The online video platform was designed for large businesses and established content creators who are looking for platforms with more advanced features.
Here’s what you can expect if you sign up for their streaming solution:
Content monetization: To help brands reach their ad revenue goals, Brightcove offers several monetization options. Depending on your content and your audience’s needs, you can choose AVOD, TVOD, SVOD, or a hybrid monetization model.
OTT solution: With Brightcove’s scalable solution, you can distribute live streams to audiences on any device. Plus, you can create OTT apps across channels through Brightcove’s partnership with Accedo One.
Audience engagement: Brightcove implements Native Video Cloud Interactivity features for viewer engagement. Choose from the customization options including quizzes, polls, chapters, links, or shopping carts, to maximize audience interactions.
Developer solutions: To save your time and effort on repetitive tasks, Brightcove provides a variety of APIs, SDKs, and integrations.
Retail and e-commerce integrations: Take advantage of Brightcove’s social media integrations to expand your reach and entice your customers to buy your product.
Best Brightcove Alternatives for 2023
If you don’t think Brightcove’s solution doesn’t fit your needs, check out some of their top alternatives and their offerings.
1. JW Player
JW Player is an end-to-end video hosting solution made for broadcasters, publishers, and video-driven businesses. Since its debut in 2004, JW Player has been helping companies scale and improve their video strategy.
Thanks to the complete VOD platform, you can live stream events 24/7 via web, OTT, or CTV, while increasing your ad revenue through diverse video monetization options including AVOD, SVOD, and TVOD.
Moreover, increasing video plays has never been easier with JW Player. Features like article matching, recommendations, and social media integrations will increase your incremental plays for up to 60% and boost your ad potential.
Overall, JW Player is a reliable video streaming solution providing superior viewing experiences on every device and screen. Take a look at the key features:
- HTML5 web player: Expand and engage audiences with the fastest HTML5 player worldwide. The player is highly-customizable with CSS customization and APIs at your disposal.
- Advertising and monetization: Increase your ad revenue with SSAI, CSAI, AVOD, TVOD, or SVOD monetization models. With header bidding driven by prebid.js, you can efficiently manage and optimize dozens of demand sources. Moreover, with JW Player’s outstream and instream capabilities, you’ll maximize your monetization potential.
- Viewer engagement tools: Improve viewer engagement with features like motion thumbnails, automated playlists, float and scroll, or auto captioning.
- Video analytics: Use in-depth data insights to improve your video content strategy according to your audience’s preferences.
- OTT apps: JW Player’s backend combined with Applicaster’s frontend applications will help you distribute content across all devices. Additionally, your premium content will be protected by studio-approved DRM and additional layers of video security (Token Signing and Geo Blocking).
Try JW Player for free, or contact the sales team to get details on the pricing.
- Reliable and secure
- Ideal for large-scale live events
- Large variety of analytics tools
- Supports the most popular video formats
- Flexible and customizable
- Some users on G2 found JW Player somewhat difficult to set up
Similar to JW Player, Kaltura is an online video platform providing live and on-demand solutions for enterprise-level organizations. This is an optimal alternative for larger companies whose video content requires more customization.
The company offers a long list of solutions that are especially helpful for online learning platforms or educational institutions. Here’s what they have in store:
- High-quality, 4k broadcast
- Video CMS
- APIs and SDKs
- Virtual events and classrooms
- Multiple monetization options
- Marketing automation integrations
Kaltura also offers a free trial, after which you can contact their sales team to choose your preferred plan. The best part is that you can mix and match their solutions to create your custom plan.
- Seamless integration with Moodle
- Responsive customer support
- Easy onboarding process
- Comprehensive analytics
- Easy-to-use sharing functions
- Some G2 reviewers say the solution has a bit of a learning curve
Dacast is a video streaming platform providing an all-in-one solution for broadcasters. They’re one of the top Brightcove competitors because they offer the majority of video streaming tools even on their Starter plan.
The company provides all essential live video features, making the platform ideal for both amateurs and advanced users. Here’s a peek into their extensive range of features:
- Adaptive bitrate streaming
- CDN-backed video streaming
- OTT platform
- Advanced security features
- RTMP support
- Cloud-based video transcoding
You can get all of these features if you sign up for Dacast. Their plans range from $39 per month for the Starter plan, while the Event and Scale plans cost $63 and $165 per month, respectively. For higher volume needs, you can contact sales for a Custom plan.
- Support for mobile devices
- White-label video streaming
- Pay-per-view monetization
- High-quality video and audio streams
- Certain reviews on G2 complain about Dacast’s customer support
IBM is another scalable content delivery solution comparable to Brightcove. Interestingly, the solution was initially known as Ustream and mainly focused on connecting military service members with their families.
Today, the platform is mainly focused on live streaming, with an array of video hosting and cloud video streaming features. Take a look at what they offer:
- Multi-CDN network
- AI automation
- Multiple protection and encryption levels
- SSO and third party integrations
- API access
- Multilingual live audio support
After you take IBM Cloud Video for a 30-day test drive, you can choose their Silver plan starting at $129 monthly, the Gold plan from $649 per month, or the Platinum plan starting at $1,299 per month. For additional features, contact IBM to receive a custom plan quote.
- Easy to use
- Live chat feature
- Live and video on demand streaming
- Live playlists
- Compatible with all devices
- Higher price as opposed to competitors
Panopto is another video hosting platform focused on educational institutions and larger organizations who want to use video for their internal training.
With Panopto, users can stream, record, and easily share videos, or take advantage of the Learning Management System integrations. Here’s what else you can expect if you sign up:
- Video management system
- Video recording on multiple screens
- Automatic device detection
- Video SEO
To find out pricing details, you can book a demo through Panopto’s website.
- Records multiple camera angles
- No hidden costs
- Smart search feature
- Out-of-the-box integration with LMS
- Some users on G2 report issues with the mobile applications
Uscreen is a video platform designed for users looking to deliver video content online or through OTT devices. Their feature set assists customers in diversifying their offerings and maintaining business growth.
With Uscreen, you have control over the content you create, and you can create your own apps and and websites to tailor the video experience to your viewers’ needs. Take a look at some of their key functionalities:
- Live streaming with live chat options
- API access
- Mobile and TV apps
- Video CMS
- Marketing and analytics tools
- Video monetization
You can try out Uscreen’s features for free for 30 days. If you want to move forward, you can choose between the Growth plan for $149 per month, or the Pro plan for $499 monthly. The Plus plan is reserved for users who require additional features and can be arranged by contacting sales.
- Marketing tools
- Large variety of templates
- Easy setup
- Helpful support team
- Page customization requires some CSS know-how
Vidyard is a business video hosting platform designed to help businesses stand out with their prospects and engage their customers.
When you sell with Vidyard, you can create unique video messages that will distinguish you from your competition and increase your response rates. Moreover, you can improve the buyer experience with on-demand demos, virtual walkthroughs, digital sales rooms, and personalized videos. Here’s what makes Vidyard stand out:
- Customizable video player
- Social media and marketing integrations
- AI-powered prospecting
- AI script generator
- Screen recorder
- Real-time insights
You can get started with Vidyard’s Free plan, or upgrade to the Pro ($19 per month billed annually) or Plus ($59 per month billed annually) plans. For additional features, contact sales to get a price.
- Integrates with HubSpot
- Easy to navigate
- Easy to use Chrome extension
- Embed options
- Some G2 users report slower upload speeds
Vimeo is a video sharing platform that provides video content creation tools for both beginners and content creators who are more established.
This platform is a good Brightcove alternative as it offers a decent variety of features and tools at an affordable price. Their top features include:
- Support for 4k, 8k, HDR, and Dolby Vision
- AI script generator
- AI editing
- Ad-free, embeddable player
- Video analytics
Vimeo’s affordable plans start at $12 per seat/month for the Starter plan, and move up to $20 per seat/month for the Standard plan and $65 per seat/month. The Enterprise plan with additional security, control, and support is also available.
- Live streaming capabilities
- Content management tools
- Several users on G2 complained about Vimeo’s customer service
Cincopa is a multimedia video hosting solution. If you want to manage video, audio, and photo content, Cincopa is a great Brightcove alternative.
Here are some of their most prominent features:
- Customizable HTML5 player
- Video marketing automation
- Access to API
- Video encryption
- SSO integration
- Monetization tools
The company offers a 30-day free trial and 3 subscription plans. The Plus plan costs $25 per month, the Corporate plan is priced at $99 per month, while the Enterprise plan will set you back $350 monthly.
- Integrates with Dropbox
- Possibility of creating custom video libraries
- Responsive customer service
- The larger list of features makes the user experience more complicated
Wistia is a video platform with a focus on marketing. Their suite of marketing tools helps users grow their business by attracting new customers and securing new sales leads.
With Wistia’s platform, you can host both live events or record them. Here’s a glimpse into their offer:
- Screen and webcam recorder
- HTML5 player
- Native Facebook and Google integrations
- Video editing tools
- Marketing automation tools
- SEO optimization
Wistia has 4 different pricing plans, each offering different features. The Plus plan costs $19 per month, the Pro plan is $79 per month, while the Advanced plan will cost you $319.
- Ability to generate automated captions
- Podcasting solution
- Easy video management
- Advanced tech support exclusive to custom-priced plans
As we navigate the digital realm of video hosting and streaming, Brightcove continues its legacy of excellence and innovation. However, it’s essential to explore alternative solutions in this dynamic market, each with its unique strengths and suitability for different use cases. Whether you’re seeking specialized features for educational institutions, robust monetization options, or marketing-focused tools, this list of Brightcove alternatives is definitely a range of choices to consider depending on your needs.